Search This Blog

02 February 2010

HEAVY METAL REVIEW - Slave Raider - Take The World By Storm (1986)

I have to review this album before I go insane.





Let's hear it for the local boys!

Price Paid: $3.00 (can you believe it? That was in Nashville, but recently back home I saw a copy for $14. Insane!)

The Player:
CHAINSAW!!

What Is It?
Many listens later and I have absolutely no clue. I love this fucking album because the SONIC FORCE has the capability to ROCK THINE FACE OFF, but you're puzzled as to how exactly it's done the whole time. I'll get to that later. It is a heavy metal album in a very pure sense. This band apparently played clubs all around my state and had a cult following. I first heard of them when my dad's friend mentioned them to me once - later I found Take The World By Storm on tape and then on a trip found the vinyl version of the album. I was mystified. How could such great metal come from the frozen bowels of my grim, frostbitten state?

Does It Suck?
Oooohahahhohohoh NO. I'll be honest, I had this album pegged as another shallow venture into the intricacies of "Rockin'", "Love" as manufactured by the media and so on....however it became clear that this album is worth much more than that. The album is almost frustrating in its mystery. The first side goes by like one would expect, judging by the album cover. A few favorites were pegged, including "Backstabbin'" and "Long Way From Home". Sounds like a lighter version of WASP.

The second side starts out with samples of old politicians talking about nuclear war. Then, the RIFF. You're looking at the song "Survival Of The Fittest" and it KICKS ASS. It is obvious that the band did away with everything associated with the first side. Next, "The Devil Comes Out In Me" slightly harkens back to the glam stylings of the first side, but with a razor edge. Finally, "The Black Hole". I cannot describe such devastating heavy metal. It ventures into the realm of progressive metal, because of the many twists and turns the song takes. It even steps into a slightly speed metal vein in parts. The song ends with a glorious instrumental section and you're left sitting and drooling. The solos and pure riffage are enough to make you bang your head into the wall. What puzzles me so is the absolutely obvious transition from the first side which represents all things glam, to the second side that descends into pure chaos. I like both; It is just one puzzling feature of the band...

Recommended Tracks:
"Backstabbin'"
"Survival Of The Fittest"
"The Devil Comes Out In Me"
"The Black Hole"

Wrap-Up
Very enjoyable. The second side always has me headbanging relentlessly. Has overall a unique sound, comparable only to WASP or in places Motley Crue. Let's just say I'm proud to come from the same state as SLAVE RAIDER! This deserves an 8/10 easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment