Search This Blog

30 January 2010

NWOBHM REVIEW - DARK HEART - SHADOWS OF THE NIGHT (1984)







http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=13332

Price Paid:
$4.00

What Is It?
A NWOBHM album released just as the movement was in major decline, arguably the "Last" year of it. This album often sounds to me like an English Mercyful Fate. Being that Mercyful Fate is my all time favorite band along with Judas Priest, this is a very, very good thing. The record exudes heavy metal. More specifically, Honourable English Metal. For country and king!

Does It Suck?
HELL NO. Let me just put things in perspective for you. When someone says "Metal", this album is what I think of. This record is "Writing A Great Metal Album 101" and here's why:

-Catchiness.
-Skill.
-Songwriting ability.
-A focus on the MUSIC!!

Recently I have come to a conclusion regarding those qualities. If they're all there, they equal more than the sum of their parts. Moreover, with this particular record, you'll notice how light of a touch the instruments have (the lead tone sounds like a Strat through a Blues combo) but yet it is very "Heavy". This is a phenomenon through which the aforementioned qualities, if all present, make the album exponentially heavier.

This album has very few flaws. The main thing it has going for it is the dramatic, "classic" metal aspect that Mercyful Fate employed. In this sense it is done right, and WELL. The only flaws this record has are minute. When I first heard the title track, the vocals were a bit tough to get used to, as I could tell the vocalist could sing but he was choosing not to - after a few listens, I realized it fits. Also - some songs drag on a bit, but usually the length is justified with a new riff or solo anyways. That brings me to my next point - I LOVE SOLOS! Hate to compare it to MF again, but there you go - the solos are plentiful and nicely executed. The rest of the band is also great, but it's hard to notice them when you're paying attention to the song - they are so well arranged and written!

Recommended Tracks:
-"Shadows Of The Night"
-"Dangerous Games"
-"Don't Break The Circle" (different song, but it still reminds me of DEMON!)
-"Shout It Out"

Wrap-Up
Highly, highly recommended. It is a shame they didn't put out a follow up record - such is the quandary of the NWOBHM. Every dynamic of classic and melodic heavy metal is explored on this record, and while not intending to smash you in the mouth (by any means) it tells us how to write a heavy record without resorting to that approach. Some songs are a little forgettable, but the rest are so damn catchy, and in some places, progressive. (I couldn't believe I had forgotten about this amazing record when I pulled it out...) Great for NWOBHM fans especially. My rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment