Search This Blog

21 January 2010

TRAD. METAL REVIEW - WILD DOGS - MAN'S BEST FRIEND (1984)



Youtuber (mikejrgb):"Man these guys suck. This is one band that had 1 good album [reign of terror] then decided to come back and do more shows?...."

"Matthew T."
"yeah but we sucked in front of a bunch of people
there is no new music... those reign of terror fans will be dissapointed that there are no skinny glam fags but this has always been my band....i owulda been skinny too but they didnt share their cocaine...i prefer beer... it keeps my erections coming and going....
you can grow up if ya want,, ill keep nice and immature...cmon this guitarist blows jeff outta the door...the original guys dont understand motorhead
"

I wanted to post this dialogue between some youtuber and the original vocalist for this band, because it gave me greater respect for him. I love when old school metal bands have members that are 100% active on the internet. You get to know what went on...




(Click for larger image)

http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=1568

Price Paid For Album:
$2.90

The Player:
Matthew T. McCourt

What Is It?
A burnin' hunk of 1984 US HEAVY FUCKING METAL! After reading that Youtube comment I felt a little reluctant to say this, but...judging by the pictures on the back of the album, the guys from Halford's wet dreams got together and formed a band! Seriously, Matthew T. looks like Rob plus give or take 150 bills. But enough about that. They have the standard awesome spiky metal attire for rocking people's faces off circa mid 80s, and Deen looks ready to join a black metal band. I was trying to figure out what to categorize Wild Dogs as... and a youtuber said it best - "the perfect mix between Saxon and Motorhead". Although it leans toward the melodic side of things, Man's Best Friend is a solid chunk of heavy metal.

Does It Suck?
No, and as a matter of fact every time I listen to it, the album grows on me exponentially. The vocals are great, and Matthew sounds just like someone else, but I can't put my finger on it...All I know is, I certainly wasn't expecting great Saxon-like vocals from such a huge guy. I mean, he's built like a brick shithouse! The guitarist, Jeff Mark definitely shines on this album with some (mainly) typical solos, but his rhythms are standout for mid 80s traditional metal. Deen Castronova (who appears to have played with EVERYONE) is a decent drummer, and stands out on the faster tracks. Danny Kurth, the bassist, is...a bassist. This record can overall be compared to a rougher and tougher "White Wolf". (Too bad there aren't any album cuts on YT. That'll have to change...).

I'll be honest - when I first saw the album, I was expecting, however unreasonably, an album of brutal proportions (the cover is a dude getting MASSACRED by a wild dog!) - after I looked at the back, I realized it was unrealistic but was pleasantly surprised with how it sounded without being "brutal". It does have a heavier side to it, however, on tracks like "Livin' On The Streets" and "Believe In Me". "Livin'...", The opener, within a few seconds blew me away with the drum fill and wrenching riffage. The album proceeds to kick some ass - but every time I listen it seems over way too quickly.

Wrap-Up
Let me just say this...at this point it looks like $2.90 was a STEAL for this album. I look forward to many future listens. A Motorhead with a few coatings of glam actually came out sounding pretty damned good (to MY ears). The songs are really catchy and sometimes "nasty"-heavy. This solid album deserves a solid 7.5/10 total from me. Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment