Search This Blog

08 January 2010

HEAVY ROCK REVIEW - BOSS - STEP ON IT (1984)

Ahh 1984.



/\ (the only vid I found on YT)

http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=10171

Price Paid: $3.00

The Player:
Who knows

The Players:
Craig Csongrady, Kevin Pratt, Peter Sutcliffe, Scott Ginn, Joe Tatts, and John Dick (additional drums)

What is it?
A metal/heavy rock album by the band BOSS from Australia. Has some NWOBHM influences, by the sound of it. Simple songs, about on par with a friendly version of Def Leppard or White Wolf. They also seem to give off a vibe of their fellow countrymen AC/DC in some parts, but it is not prevalent (that's good, because I despise AC/DC - but enough about me...). EDIT: Well I'll be damned, the bassist played for AC/DC. Anyways, good melodic lines, but the choruses are a little too abundant in places. The back cover is a collage of pictures from backstage at, seemingly one gig or a place they played often. The walls have writing all over them - a source of entertainment.

Does It Suck?
No. It's pretty average - heavy rock with a nice melodic twist. The solos can get pretty wild, which works in their favor, most definitely. The album opens with the sound of construction and jackhammers - on the track titled most aptly "KICK ASS (ROCK N' ROLL)". Fuck yeah. It has its definite heavy or sweet melodic moments, but overall is kind of forgettable. One main thing to note is that the drums were actually recorded with a drum machine - This was cause for some controversy, but I couldn't really give less of a shit. They don't SOUND fake, and don't drag down the album's sound much, if at all. I also remember reading that the record did well in Britain, but not Australia. The drum machine was a turn off to some.

The album can come off as a heavy, wild rock album in parts and a soft melodic one in others.

Recommended tracks:
"KICK ASS (ROCK N' ROLL)"
"ESCAPEE"
"CRY CRY"
"TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT"

Wrap-Up
Meh, pretty average. Definitely has moments of greatness, but they aren't abundant. I originally found this album for $10 and was astounded by the awesome album cover. Later I found it at the same store for $3. I'm glad I waited to buy it then. I would say this record is worth $6-7 TOPS. Notable only for its relative rarity (the "having" is a big factor to me) and varied appeal. I'd give it 6/10 personally, but I know there are some out there who would fall in love with the record - you decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment